About Me...

My name is Allison Benton. I am a junior at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in elementary education. I have always known I was meant to be an elementary teacher because I love to teach children and watch them learn to their fullest potentials. I have always been a "role model" figure, being the oldest of three daughters. I grew up as a majorette, and then I taught a middle school majorette line when I was in high school and during some college. I have taught preschool as well, and no matter what the age of the student is, I love teaching. I have always enjoyed teaching, whether it was playing "teacher" to my two younger sisters or teaching majorettes. I have also enjoyed school all of my life. I have always done well in school, and I like the idea of school and obtaining an education. I enjoy spending as much time as I can learning; I believe that people never stop learning. I really like being in an elementary school atmosphere. I have done observation hours during previous semesters, and I love the excitement that children have when they learn something new and are able to apply their new knowledge to their life. I know teaching elementary school is what I am meant to do in my life, and I hope to be a great role model and educator.
My Teaching Philosophy

Incorporating different subject areas into one lesson

Being a student and having to learn how much time I will actually have as a teacher to fully go over each subject area, I know that there will be some days to where I will not have enough time in a day to have a lesson plan for each subject area. Incorporating different subject areas into one lesson can not only provide me as a teacher with more time to teach, but it can also allow me to make lessons more relevant to my future students. I know most times, students do not learn as well when they do not realize why what they are learning is important to them individually. By incorporating more than one subjet area into one lesson, students can learn more than one subject at once, while at the same time realize that it usually takes more than one subject to fully understand the importance of a topic. Teaching subjects together at once can allow the students to synthesize different siutations in a more effective way.