About Me...

My name is Allison Benton. I am a junior at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in elementary education. I have always known I was meant to be an elementary teacher because I love to teach children and watch them learn to their fullest potentials. I have always been a "role model" figure, being the oldest of three daughters. I grew up as a majorette, and then I taught a middle school majorette line when I was in high school and during some college. I have taught preschool as well, and no matter what the age of the student is, I love teaching. I have always enjoyed teaching, whether it was playing "teacher" to my two younger sisters or teaching majorettes. I have also enjoyed school all of my life. I have always done well in school, and I like the idea of school and obtaining an education. I enjoy spending as much time as I can learning; I believe that people never stop learning. I really like being in an elementary school atmosphere. I have done observation hours during previous semesters, and I love the excitement that children have when they learn something new and are able to apply their new knowledge to their life. I know teaching elementary school is what I am meant to do in my life, and I hope to be a great role model and educator.
My Teaching Philosophy

Intelligences

Howard Gardner teaches us that there are different intelligences that characterize students and people in general. Gardner stresses that each intelligence is equally important and each person that is characterized by an intelligence does better at certain jobs in life. Most people only think about the verbal-linguistic and logical-mathematical intelligences, but there are so many more. Knowing each of the intelligences and knowing that students can succeed in certain ones will help me as a future teacher by enabling me to bring out each intelligence in each student, even if one struggles with certain intelligences. knowing Gardner's intelligences also allows me as a future teacher to bring out the one the each student excels in because more than likely, that student will have a career based on the intelligence that he/she excels in. Most of our dancers, builders, artists and athletes excel in bodily-kinesthetic while most of our readers and writers excel in verbal-linguistic. Today's math teachers, doctors, chemists, etc excel in logical-mathematical, and most therapists and counselors excel in intrapersonal. Many teachers and business people excel in interpersonal and most artists excel in visual-spacial. Many of our environmentalists excel in naturalistic. These intelligences do not define who students are going to become, but knowing and understanding each will help teachers understand how their students learn best.